Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Women of steel

Steel Magnolias (1988)
Robert Harling
79 pages
5/5 rating

I remember being a young girl and watching the movie based on this play with my momma. Even now I still love every character. Ouiser "Weezer" and Clairee, 60-something women with spunk and personality, Truvy, who was played by Dolly Parton, a beauty shop owner. There was also Annelle, Shelby, and M'Lynn.

Steel Magnolias is about six women of different ages who live in a small town called Chinquapin, Louisiana. They come together most Saturdays to get made up in Truvy's parlor and to share their lives with each other. I discovered the movie is heavily based on the play, which I really loved, just extended a bit more. The characters are smart, funny, witty, and so real. I lost track of time reading this play. I didn't want it to end.

1 comment:

maggie moran said...

I love the movie, but had no idea it began as a play! Thanks for the info. Maybe, I can order it for our our drama department. :)