Monday, June 2, 2008

The end of my weekend of books

The Resurrectionist (2008)
Jack O'Connell
304 pages
4 out of 5

Last Thursday was the last day of spring semester and I was determined to squeeze in as many books as possible. But as we all know, life happens and I only squeezed in a few books. I enjoyed myself though.

The Resurrectionist is about Sweeney, a widower and pharmacist, and his comatose son, Danny. Sweeney blames himself for the accident that caused Danny's coma and hopes that the Peck Clinic can give Sweeney the miracle he thinks he need. Sweeney and Danny's story crosses with the freaks of Limbo, a comic book Danny loved. As Sweeney digs deeper into the story of Limbo and its inhabitants, he also finds out he should look beyond the surface of things and family is more than just the blood of your own.

The Book of Other People
Edited by Zadie Smith (2008)
304 pages
5 out of 5

The Book of Other People is a collection of short story edited by the talented Zadie Smith. It contains stories by Chris Ware, Miranda July, ZZ Packer, Jonathon Safran Foer, and many others. Years ago Zadie Smith asked the writers to make up a story about character, a character and name that story about he/she or it. The result is now my favorite short story collection.
Some of my favorites are:
Jonathon Safran Foer's Rhoda about his grandmother
David Mitchell's Judith Castle
Chris Ware's Jordan Wellington Lint - tragic and yet funny
J. Johnson by Nick Horny
I started this book months ago and picked it up this morning only to read the whole book in a matter of two hours. Though I usually give away books after I read them, I know this is one I will be rereading many times.

No comments: