Friday, December 19, 2008

Day one summary

In total I read four books today: The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling, The Pocket Muse by Monica Wood, Not a Stick by Antoinette Portis, and I know an old lady who swallowed fly guy by Tedd Arnold.

The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing (2004)
Monica Wood
256 pages

I received this book just yesterday from paperbackswap. The Pocket Muse is filled with exercises, quotes, and advice on writing. I read this in almost one sitting. Before I started I had a new pack of post-its for pages I liked. When I finished the book I had went through all of my post-its tagging page after page. One of my favorite exercises was "Inventing an Opposite" (what's the opposite of a kiss?). Included also are black and white photos and fill in the blank sentences to inspire.





Not A Stick (2007)
Antoinette Portis
32 pages
2008 Cybil Nominee for Fiction Picture Book

I had to read this sequel to Not a Box. This time there's a little pig whose imagination takes a stick and makes it so much more like a paintbrush and sword among other things.




There was an old lady who swallowed Fly Guy (2007)
Tedd Arnold
2008 Cybil Nominee for Easy Reader

A funny read about Fly Guy being swallowed by an old lady along with several farm animals.





The Tales of Beedle the Bard (2008)
J.K. Rowling
112 pages

Part of the world of Harry Potter, this book is a great addition for any HP fan's library. My favorite stories were "The Warlock's Hairy Heart," "The Fountain of Fair Fortune," and "The Tale of The Three Brothers."

Now four down and nineteen to go.

2 comments:

The Bookworm said...

I've been wanting to read The Tales of Beedle the Bard ;)

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Okay, the Fly Guy brought tears of laughter. Love it!