Friday, June 22, 2007

Beautiful Lies

I finished Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger early this morning, when insomnia had came and woke me up. I had picked Beautiful Lies up at my local library because it's the July pick for their book club. I put it on hold and wasn't even going to pick it up. But I did.
Beautiful Lies tells the story of Ridley Jones, a girl whose life is changed by subtle decisions. The decision to meet her ex-boyfriend one day, to save a child from being hit by a car... Soon a mysterious package shows up in her mailbox, asking her to question her identity and the trust she has in the people around her.
A compelling read that kept my attention even when I wanted to slap Ridley for being so naive at times. She's a solid character. Maybe because I come from a totally different background, but sometimes I couldn't feel for her. She cried so often in the book, I started to shake my head at it. She started to feel weak.
I never read mysteries. It's just not my thing, but I'm glad I gave this book a chance. Even with my problems with Ridley I still put the sequel, Sliver of Truth, on hold at my library. I hope the main character grows stronger in this next book.

No comments: