Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Library Loot 2/10/09

I just came back from one of my favorite places in the world! What is it about libraries and bookstores that give me butterflies?
























My library already had issues one through five of Bill Willingham's masterpiece series Fables, but for some reason didn't have the rest. I asked my library to order the rest of the series and they said yes! Now volumes six through eleven are on their way. I also put the beginning of the series on hold so I can reread it. For some reason I received volumes one, seven, and eleven. Hopefully I'll receive the rest of the series before I have to return the books.

I'm an English/Anthropology major and I love fairy tales. So when I saw The Hungry Clothes and other Jewish Folktales, I had to check it out. Can you believe I've never read Peter Pan? My family loves the various movie versions of this book, so it's our newest family read. I'm reading Exit Wounds for the Graphic Novel Challenge. I'm also in a short story mood, so I had to check out Yiyun Li's A Thousand Years of Good Prayers before I read her latest Vagrants.

What have you checked out from the library lately?

10 comments:

Doret said...

I checked out Girl Over OverBoard by Justina Chen Headley last week. I only planned to return, since I had books already but I am weak. When I go back to another branch to return, I am hoping they still have Mexican White Boy by Matt De La Pena since it just made a 2009 Best of list, plus it perfect for the diversity rocks challenge

chrisa511 said...

What a fantastic bunch of loot! Enjoy them! Especially Fables ;) Very cool that your library ordered them for you!

Kailana said...

Yay for Fables! I got books 8 and 9 in the mail yesterday, so I am excited to see where things go! I don't know if I have ever actually read Peter Pan either... I honestly can't remember!

samantha.1020 said...

Looks like you got some really good books. Enjoy :)

Eva said...

That Hungy Clothes book looks awesome! I put the first volume of Fables on hold at my library last month, but I'm #5. Oh well-I'm sure I'll get it eventually! I've never heard of Yiyun Li, so I'm off to find out more about her. ;)

serendipity_viv said...

Fantastic selection of books - hope you enjoy them.

Vasilly said...

Doret, I heard of Mexican White Boy. I hope they have it for you. I have so many books checked out right now. I hope to finish half of them soon.

Chris, my library is the best! I think they might be getting tired of me asking them to buy books though. =)

Kailana, Fables is the best! The series is so well-written and addictive.

Thanks, Samantha!

Eva, I've heard so many great things about Yiyun Li.

Thanks, Scrap girl!

Wanda said...

My teenage daughter has always loved Peter Pan! She's brought home dozens of books on JM Barrie and Peter Pan over the years...

Iliana said...

Oh that's wonderful! I really want to read the Fables graphic novels but when I went to the library they only had issue 3 or 5... I can't remember. But, I prefer to read things in order so I'm going to see if I can put a hold on it and get it next time.
Enjoy your loot!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

Great that your library was willing (and had the $$) to order the rest of the series; nice that they're so receptive to patron requests.

Dawn
She is Too Fond of Books