Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Being a Bookaholic


Jessi at Casual Dread gave me another Premios Dardo award. I cannot say thank you enough. To receive it once is great, to receive the award twice in the same week is just awesome.This time instead of naming fifteen more blogs that I love, I want to just say thank you to everyone who visits this blog, whether you lurk or not.

****

I think the anxiety of school has caused me to drastically slow down my personal reading. So far this year I've read nineteen books, only one is an adult read. The rest are children's books, no young adult, no middle school books. *sigh* I have to learn how to better manage my time.

When I'm not studying for school or on twitter, I'm buying tons of books. So many that the only way I'm going to read all of them this year is if I don't check out any books from the library, receive any from Paperbackswap, and stop buying them. That's not going to happen. As of today I'm trying to read as many books as I can in time for my big giveaway starting Febuary 1st as part of my mini-challenge for the Dewey's Books Challenge. So if you haven't signed up already, I suggest you do so.

*****
Carrie's Essay Reading Challenge is the first challenge I finished this year. My goal was to read twenty essays this year and I surpassed that. Here are the first twenty essays that I read:

From Tin House Magazine
1. On Steinbeck's Travels with Charley - Tom Grimes
2. On Elain Dundy's The Dud Avocado - Elisa Albert
3. On Knut Hamusun's Hunger - Don Waters

From Powells Books Original Essays Feature
4. Mysteries in Plain Sight - Dara Horn
5. Still Knitting - Ann Hood
6. Taming the Wilderness - Ingrid Law

From The book that changed my life - Roxanne J. Cody
(I'm just giving you the name of the writer of the essay)

7. Dorothy Allison
8. Kate Atkinson
9. James Atlas
10. Robert Ballard
11. Gina Barreca
12 Nicholas A Bashanes
13. Graeme Base
14. Jeff Benedict
15. Elizabeth Berg
16. Amy Bloom
17. Harold Bloom
18. Lary Bloom
19. Chris Bohjalian
20. Da Chen

Thanks to Carrie for hosting this challenge.

9 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I think I have the same problem. I visit charity shops and come back with about 10 books on a weekly basis. When am I ever going to read them all! I just find buying them and getting them cheaply, rather comforting. I am requesting interesting childrens books titles on my blog today, as I want to compile a list of people's favourites. As you have been reading loads, any good ones you can suggest?

serendipity_viv said...

thanks for your book list. Judy Blume is a name I remember, but I have never read any, so I will add her to my list.

Iliana said...

Congrats on finishing your first challenge of the year. That's great that you did so well with it. Essays are something I really don't read much but I'm trying to expand my reading horizons a bit more this year :)

I do like Tin House but haven't picked up an issue in a while. Which reminds me, next time I go to the bookstore I'll look for it.

Vasilly said...

Iliana: I don't read essays that often either, so it felt good to read out of my comfort zone.

Ana S. said...

Oooh, there were some great essays in The Book that Changed my Life. Congrats on finishing the challenge!

Vasilly said...

Thanks, Nymeth!

jessi said...

Sadly, school has slowed down my reading, too. I did manage to finish a bunch of YA books, but they were really short. :)

Stacy said...

Awesome! I am going to check out the Powells link. I am coming to the end of the essay challenge as well...24 out of 30...and am looking for some last minute ideas.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you finished already! I was wondering - would you like to write a brief post or review on one specific essay or book of essays? That way I can post it on our list of reviews, and you'll be eligible for the prize drawing at the end of the year.