Thursday, April 3, 2008

Booking Through Thursday



When somebody mentions “literature,” what’s the first thing you think of? (Dickens? Tolstoy? Shakespeare?) Do you read “literature” (however you define it) for pleasure? Or is it something that you read only when you must?
When someone mentions literature, the first thing that comes to mind is books, just the image of books. But when I really get to thinking about it, John Steinbeck, Toni Morrison, Tolstoy, and the many other great heavyweights come to mind. I think, for me, literature is any book that gives me pleasure and makes me think.

1 comment:

Beryl Singleton Bissell said...

Besides the usual "literature" greats that come to mind, I love some of the contemporary authors as well. Phillip Simmons, Ann Patchett, Mark Salzman, Sheri Reynolds, Saul Bellow.

So delighted to see that you've gotten yourself into another challenge and that one of those books is mine.